Thursday, August 25, 2016

Throwback Thursday Book Review: Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare

Some of you may know that I originally had my own blog, Beauty but a Funny Girl, prior to joining Bookish (now Bookish Lifestyle). I was thinking the other day about all those reviews I left behind when I transferred and thought they should get some love too - no matter how badly written and newbie they come off! So I present to you: Throwback Thursday Reviews! Every once in a while I'll post an old review from Beauty but a Funny Girl, unedited in terms of content, with the exception of any spelling or grammatical mistakes. It's definitely going to be fun and interesting to see how my tastes and writing style have changed over the years!



Series:
The Infernal Devices #2
Genre:
Young Adult, Steampunk, Romance, Historical Fiction
Publication.Date:December 6, 2011
Pages:502 (Hardcover)
Published By:  Margaret K. McElderry Books
Website:Cassandra Clare

Clockwork Prince on Goodreads
My review copy:
Bought

Where to get:
  




True love is shrouded in secrets and lies in the #1 New York Times bestselling second book of the Infernal Devices trilogy.

In the magical underworld of Victorian London, Tessa Gray has found safety with the Shadowhunters. But that safety proves fleeting when it becomes clear that the mysterious Magister will stop at nothing to use Tessa’s powers for his own dark ends.

With the help of the handsome, tortured Will and the devoted Jem, Tessa discovers that the Magister’s war on the Shadowhunters is deeply personal and fueled by revenge. To unravel the secrets of the past, the trio journeys from mist-shrouded Yorkshire to a manor house that holds untold horrors. When they encounter a clockwork demon bearing a warning for Will, they realize that the Magister knows their every move—and that one of their own has betrayed them.

Tessa is drawn more and more to Jem, though her longing for Will continues to unsettle her. But something is changing in Will. Could finding the Magister free Will from his secrets and give Tessa answers about who she really is? As their search leads to deadly peril, Tessa learns that secrets and lies can corrupt even the purest heart.

(Goodreads)

Originally posted July 23, 2013 on Beauty but a Funny Girl

Bad move on my part. I read Clockwork Princess - and wrote the review - before starting on this one. I know, I know. But I jumped right into Clockwork Princess once I finished this book and... the feels!

But back to Clockwork Prince...

I really liked Clockwork Angel and started Clockwork Prince as soon as my schedule allowed me to do so. It was a good follow up novel that answered some questions from Clockwork Angel, but also asked a lot more that were answered with Clockwork Princess.

One of my favorite things about this novel is all the plot twists! There were so many that it made it obnoxious, but there were a few where I had a "whoa, hold on there!" moment. There was also a lot of plot development going on, which really helped move the story along and keep me fully interested. 

Sophie was much more involved in this novel and I grew to love her more, if possible. Henry and Charlotte finally had a breakthrough, which was especially nice as you could see Charlotte becoming frustrated with him and his scatterbrainedness. Yes, it's a word. Now. Also, Charlotte really stands on her feet against the Council and you have to admire her strength and determination.

Also, we finally get to see our love triangle between Tessa, Jem, and Will. It's a very well done triangle and it's obvious that Tessa does love both of them in their own way. However, it's the last few chapters of the book where things really heat up. It hurts to read it as for one of these characters things are suddenly looking up, only to have it all come crashing down.

Can we just talk about the balcony scene for a minute though. Oh. My. God. I get all squealy just thinking about it! It was definitely a turning point in the novel, relationship wise, and was just this mixture of pure passion and straight up romance. *sigh*

The narration was very well done and I think having the series told in third person was a smart idea. The plot in depth and involved, if a little cliche, but Clare does make it her own. This is definitely a series not to miss out on and one that became a quick favorite of mine!

Note: I know this isn't the best review, but I'm writing this after writing my review for Clockwork Princess and two weeks after finishing the book. I know I really slacked on this one, but I was having trouble putting it into words for some reason. And of course because I flew through the novel I didn't exactly take the best notes. Please don't hate me!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...